“From that place where they kept carriages on the entrance to town besides the river there is a brewery [browar], covered with joists. There are bulkhead doors into it. A big laid out chimney in the entryway.From that entryway on the left there is a lightful room with a bulkhead doors into it. It is where they cultivate grain for malt. One-hand millstones. Tiled furnace with a chimney beside. From this entryway there are plain doors leading to a pond. At the other side of the brewery there is hothouse where they dry grain and bulkhead doors to the entryway. There are bulkhead doors to the hothouse from that entryway, in which there is a window with blinds. The furnace is made of stone, with vaults. A bridge to town from the brewery towards Šušvė river [Szuszwie].
Near that river one in front of the other two mills are standing. The nearest to the brewery is covered with thatch, there are folding doors into it. There is everything inside what is needed for a mill. Another mill is behind the bridge. It is ruined (broken). Behind that mill there is a pond. On the right from the pond there is a vegetable garden, surrounded with the fence. There are sliding gates leading into it (vegetable garden), covered with shingles, bolt-closed.”
The extract is taken from the inventory “Siauliai Estate”, dated by the archive workers as a document of the end of the XVII century. To tell the more exact date now is impossible because of the lack of the information (this is postponed).
Siauliai economy was under the rule of Sapieha from 1661 till 1679. Lithuania and Poland allowed Jan Sabieski (reign period 1674 – 1696) to purchase for his own savings the economy of Siauliai. In 1680 the inventory of Siauliai economy is composed. In this document the brewery is also mentioned. The brewery covered with joists, bulkhead doors into it. It a little further from the main house outside (there are gates separating it from the house), not far from a big living house and bathhouse … (Archiwum glowny akt dawnych, Archiwum Radziwillow, sygn. 4164, 1. 4).
The inventory searched and translated from Polish by
Assoc. Dr. Rita Regina Trimonienė